Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pain at the pumps? Count your blessings!



I pulled up my diesel Hyundai to the pump. Nice little car. Four doors, leg room, sound system, AC and nicely suspended. Fun to drive on mountain roads. Anyway, it took 30 liters to fill (that is roughly 8.1 gallons). Not bad. Economical too. The cost was a whopping 49.5 Euros. In dollars that is roughly SEVENTY ONE. You read right: $71 for 8 gallons of fuel. Do the math and you get $8.8 per gallon. Now, brothers and sisters, THAT is “Pain at the Pumps.” That is also what every European pays for fuel every day, and gasoline is more expensive than diesel.
Yesterday I filled up my Dodge Ram: 18 gallons at $3.59. Sixty four bucks, roughly. I thought about the price in France and figured I got a bargain. In Europe that fill-up would have cost about $158!! The amazing thing is there are some American cars and trucks over there.
My point is this: the next time you fill’er up and think you are feeling pain, think again. The next time you think we pay too much in taxes, think again. You don’t have any idea what “Pain at the Pumps” really is, now, do you?
Image: http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2008-06-08-highgaspricesaffectingeconomyimage.jpg

No comments: