Monday, August 8, 2011

Food Adventures in France Three: Cheval et Âne

One morning we went to a “market” to shop for food and other things. This kind of market is unlike any I have ever seen in the U.S. Many vendors travel from town to town on a regular route to sell their specialties. Now don’t get the word “specialties” confused with something extraordinary. I mean there are vendors for cheese, meats, sausage, hats, olives, seafood, veggies, fruits, breads, pastries, shoes, kitchen wares, toys, table clothes, and many, many other things. These are like little stores on wheels. Some sell hot items like rotisserie chickens (order in advance or go away without a chook) or pizza. Some give away samples, some don’t. They arrive early in the morning and usually leave by 12 or so. Nearby towns have “markets” on different days so if you know where they are, you always have a source of fresh food. The prices are not cheap, but neither are they outrageous.
At a market in St. Antonin-Noble-Val I noticed a horse decal on the back of a butcher’s truck. And sure enough he had lots of nice lean cuts of horse meat. The filet mignon du cheval looked particularly tasty. Dark and not very fatty. Big. But wow, the price!! Twice that for filet mignon du boef. I mentioned to Sal that I though some Cheval would make a great dinner treat, especially for those with us that loved, cared for and rode horses. She vetoed that. I said I would cook it but not tell anyone what it was. She vetoed that, too. I said “Yes Dear” and moved on. I know when to hold’em and when to fold’em.
Later in the same market, I spotted some saucisson made out of Donkey. Saucisson is a kind of thick, dry sausage common to the region. I didn’t get that either.

http://img.frenchconnections.co.uk/property/5323-5342.JPG
http://www.rentpropertydirect.com/public/images/photo_7658_110510.jpg

No comments: