Thursday, July 7, 2011

On Rabbits and Life



Yesterday I saw a cute bunny hop in front of my home office window. Big eyes, fluffy small tail, wiggly nose. Then the bastard jumped into a raised bed and started nibbling a squash. It instantly changed from cute to bastard. Why, I asked myself?
Why indeed. I planted the garden, which is essentially a food plot for my family. And for anything else that can get into it. Birds peck at caterpillars and sometimes fruit. Insects steal a meal when they can. Probably rats and mice forage at night, and maybe snakes hunt for them as well. So why be surprised when wildlife is attracted, and why not share?
No, the problem was with me. And that quick change of attitude needs looking at and working on. I have met people at various times in life who turned on a dime: one minute friendly, the next raging about something. I just never thought of myself like that. And usually I am not. Just to make this clear, I didn’t get a gun and shoot the bun, or get an attack of apoplexy. It was even a bit of a joke. But still - - -.
When hunters and biologists come back from the field, they check themselves for ticks. Well, this is a check too. Check yourself for irrational swings, and if you find them, try to figure out what the “hot button” is and defuse it. You and everybody around you will be much happier.
Image: http://www.free-extras.com/images/wild_rabbit-8713.htm

No comments: