Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Really Woody? Fellow Citizens Might be Ignorant, Stupid or Lazy? Really?


Acid rain damage in Appalachia
I am just about over the pitiful showing for Democrats in the election, and congratulate the Republicans for getting out their base to vote. They didn't not win alone however. The Democrats gave them the Kewpie doll. What defeats me is the poor and lower middle class workers, women, minorities and gays who vote Republican. Anybody should be able to read the history of the last 35 years and know the GOP is not a party for the people, but for big business and wealthy people.
But let’s move on. So what next? Damned if I know. The GOP has been beating the drums against Obama so they will now have “shit or get off the pot”. In other words, govern. Time will tell.
I heard one GOP discussion that centered on getting rid of all kinds of regulations so that American Industry could innovate, grow and thrive. We shouldn't worry, they said. The industries would be good stewards of land, air and water without regulations. Trust them to do the right thing. Hmmmmmmm.
I was there when Lake Erie was declared a dead lake. Some of the other Great Lakes were so polluted that you couldn't' touch the water. The mist from Niagara Falls was dangerous to breathe. I was there when the Chesapeake Bay collapsed from over fishing and pollution from farm runoff and sewage. I was there when the Potomac River was declared unsafe to touch, and the air downwind of any fountain in the river unsafe to breathe. Pollution.
I was there when the Everglades suffered massive drying out from water diversion for Big Sugar, and for Orlando. I was there when whole forests were clear cut and left to erode, and the timber sold overseas. I was there when the Salmon industry on the west coast collapsed from over fishing, pollution and dam building. I was there when the forests of the Appalachians, New York and New England were dying from acid rain from uncontrolled coal burning. I was there when the air in many major cities was too
poisonous to breath safely due to exhaust and industrial pollution. I was there when the Cuyahoga river caught fire from the industrial waste floating on it.
So don’t tell me American Industry would be good stewards without regulations. And if you think so, you are ignorant, stupid or lazy. Really Woody? You calling fellow citizens those names? Yup.

Image: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfNgPtjd1__5P79GKGPCSaHNEGiwGabjx0HPvGpPUdxgP9W8q9

No comments: