Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Said Miss Mona to Ed Earl: You know what really burns my ass?


Sal and Woody, only younger
Over the weekend we, Sal and I, got together with an old friend to celebrate his 84th birthday. He is showing his age, physically more that mentally, but showing none-the-less. He follows alternative spiritual views of the world, some of which I share, and has no fear of dying. In fact, he firmly believes that the end time is just around the corner. Not necessarily this December, but soon. We talked a bit about it, but in the crowd of friends and family there was no time to explore deeply as we have done in the past.
After thinking about it for a while, I conclude the same: the end time is not creeping, it is thundering upon us. But not the end time he was envisioning. He literally thinks the physical presence of the planet, solar system and the universe will end. I do not. At least not for a very long time. Yet his end time is almost here. His, not ours. Not yet. Not being a believer in any supreme being (my friend is) or any continuance of life after death, I believe that every time someone dies, the universe ends. For them. That is what I see him facing. The extinction of awareness permanently. He believes we all go with him. If you know anyone who has died, you know that is not true. For those of us left after someone dies the universe goes on. Then, “wink”, and it is gone. Forever.

So, I started counting my remaining years, 20 or so with any luck, and then the universe ends. For me. That really burns my ass. So does a fire about 3 feet high. (1)

2. Image: http://cineplex.media.baselineresearch.com/images/316964/316964_large.jpg

No comments: