Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Flower and a Dead Snake







As I look out my window I see a frangipani in bloom, many orchids in bloom, a Tabasco pepper plant covered with yellow-going-to-red tiny peppers, some ferns, a day lily blooming (but going fast) and some woods, beginning to droop a bit.
I water all the things that are blooming or growing, but not the woods. And I fear for the woods and all woods everywhere. Massive droughts bring on fires or disease. Massive amounts of greenhouse gasses cause the weather shifts we are experiencing. No lie. Just science. You know, like the “E” word or the “U” word.
When I drove home this afternoon there was a dead black racer on the road just down from my house. Run over. I moved it off the pavement and apologized for the driver that couldn’t or wouldn’t stop in time. The first is unfortunate, the second unconscionable. I hope it was the first, but either way the snake is dead. Same for the Earth.
If we are inadvertently ruining it, that is unfortunate, but if we are aware of the ruination and not stopping in time, unconscionable. But either way it is in deep, deep trouble.
What do you think?
Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lindatreichphotos/3616889839/
Image: http://www/.flowerzone.org






No comments: