Monday, May 17, 2010

Don’t Forget to Smell the Roses


I got an email this morning telling of an old friend whose mother just died. I didn’t know her, but knew she was ailing. So no surprise. I also got an email from a colleague who is working on fall scheduling. These do not appear to be related in any sense other than they both arrived this morning But they are and here is how: they both serve to remind all of us that time moves on and life is short. On the one hand, the passing of a dear friend or relative is a direct reminder of mortality and the shortness of this experience called “life”. On the other, working more or less all the time leads to an accelerated journey to the end of life without time for reflection, relaxation or “loving time”.
You know the old line: He worked right up to the day he died. To which I say “bullshit”. Sure, I still work some. I love my students and colleagues, and never want to be totally without them. But I look forward to down time and quiet time and reflective time, and time to putz around where ever. To anybody that reads this I have this advice that is neither new nor profound: take time to smell the roses before they fade and wither. Take a little time out of the day/week/month/year/life for yourself and your partner or family or friends. Put another way and quoting Tracy Ullman: “Go home”.

Image: sudoku.com.au

No comments: