Thursday, February 4, 2010

Truth? Why not sue me?

I just had a conversation with someone that related the story of someone getting sued for telling the truth, and without even mentioning the individual that did the suing. No details please. I don’t want to get sued either. But here’s the thing: I thought that to be sued you had to either do something wrong or at least appear to have done something wrong. Apparently not so. All you have to be is alive, and in somebody’s sights. Probably you will win the suit if your facts are correct, and maybe you will get your costs paid by whoever sued you if the judge thinks the suit was frivolous. But come on for Pete’s sake. If I have an opinion about, say, onions, and I think they might hurt you if you eat too many, can some Texas onion farmer sue me? Can he or she claim I am hurting the sale of onions from Texas? You would think that since the Supreme Court claims mega corporations are persons as far as the First Amendment is concerned that I would be protected too. Am I? I guess the way to find out is to push the envelope and wait for the suits to flow. Anybody out there want to start a “Woody Search Defense Fund”? Who knows, I may already have pissed off a whole species of goose by claiming they stink when you cook them. And, they aren’t the only thing that stinks.

No comments: