Tuesday, November 17, 2009

fun n. A source of enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure. Enjoyment; amusement: have fun at the beach. Playful, often noisy, activity.


The last several trips to here and there have usually produced a billboard that touts the "fun" available: Scary rides, rushing around an amusement park standing in lines, mountain biking, skiing, snow boarding, jet skiing. You get the point. On TV (seen on hotel sets since I don't have access at home) ads for resorts include playing volleyball on the beach, hot dancing, and more of the above. Not my idea of fun. When asked "Have any fun on your trip?", or " What did you do that was fun?", my reply is usually met with "Oh". Sally and I hike into quiet places and sit. We sit around a fire and talk, or just sit. We read. We cook a nice meal and have a good wine to go with it. Oh yeah, that's fun. Why do so many people think that fun must be dangerous, scary or frenetic? Calm, relaxed and laid back stuff is fun for me. So yeah, I have loads of fun on trips. And good beer too.
Photo: i.ehow.com/.../4525856/2campfire_Full.jpg

No comments: