Sunday, August 5, 2012

"Dear Dr. Search" It Started


“Dear Dr. Search, I was a student of yours in the early 1980's. I just wanted to let you know that you had a profound influence on my life. You gave me the confidence to pursue a degree in biology which lead to a degree as a doctor of optometry which I have been practicing for almost 20 years. Thank You for making a difference.

Sincerely, Dr. L.C.M, OD.”

Knock me down with a feather! She took my courses more than 25 years ago and yesterday took the time to send me a note. This is the kind of feedback all teachers crave above salary and honors. This is the real Honor. When one goes into teaching it is often in the face of better career paths with greater financial payoffs at the end. The profession is a “calling” of sorts. We thrive on the success of our students, and only rarely get feedback years later. This is one reason I love to “friend” former students on Facebook. I get to see what they are doing and sometimes get to interact one way or the other.
Dr. M. doesn’t live too far from here, and one day I may drop in to her office and just say “Hello and Thanks.” I have already sent her a thank you email.
The Search Lesson here? If you remember a teacher that made a difference in your life many years ago, track them down and let them know. I swear it will be like giving a Vampire a fresh neck to bite. Yes, that good.


Image: http://rochestersage.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/chalkboardtomlinson.jpg

No comments: