Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mystery Snake Finally Caught, Revised

(The revision is correcting the identification of the snake and adding the video.)

This spring we finally saw the culprit that was eating our goldfish. A very spooky water snake. I tried several times to sneak up on it but to no avail. In desperation I bought a snake trap, baited it with "Just Mice" paste and waited for 2 months. All I ever caught was a snake skin that was actually shed in the trap while we were in France.
Three days ago I decided to just put the trap in the water, on a shelf in the pond and see what happened. What happened was it started to catch tadpoles. A few the first day, several more the second and by last night there were more than a dozen bullfrog babies in the trap. And that was enough to entice the hungry snake into the trap. This morning I found I had traded tadpoles for a water snake. He/she turned out to be a Florida red belly water snake Nerodia erythrogaster erythrogaster. About medium size and very "bitey". I can't get a good photo in the trap, so I will take a video of the release later today as I give it a holiday in Lake Jackson. Miles from my pond! My hat is off to the trap people for making a good product, but the advice to use mouse paste was not quite on the mark. I am writing them to suggest they make a new product and call it "Just Tadpoles and Frogs". Yummmmm.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojPLCU6o7rQ
Image: http://students.ncwc.edu/bio401/2005/Christopher/red%20belly%20water%20snake.jpg
Snake Traps:http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/traps/snake_traps.html