Friday, January 29, 2010

Interesting Food Continued

The photo probably is all you need to figure out why this was an interesting food. This fine sausage is a Christmas speciality Tuscany and probably other parts of Italy as well. We found it in a tiny grocery store in Castiglione d'Orcia, a small hill town near Montipulchiano. We were looking for some smoked salmon and the ingredients for a nice pasta dish when we saw it. Now this, I thought, is really a "head cheese". Naturally I had to have a slice and despite the way it looks, the taste was wonderful. Spicy and tangy, and not many bristles. If you get out that way in the winter, look for it. You won't be disappointed. By the way, Sally passed up this chance to taste the head. Maybe next time I can convince her to take the plunge.
Image: Woody Search

2 comments:

Matt said...

For a moment I thought this was a photo from the PigglyWiggly down the street from you, as they *do* sell everything but the oink.

Then I came to my senses. The PigglyWiggly has never been that clean.

woody s. said...

LOL.