Thursday, January 28, 2010

From the Past


It came from deep inside me. Growing quickly outward and upward into my chest. Pressure. Like something trying to get out. Then the tears. Not flowing, just lingering on my lids. I could barely breathe. Not once, but twice within 15 minutes. Death? Ecstasy? Neither. A primeval, genetic response probably. But what could cause such a deep and awe-inspiring sensation? God? A heart attack? No, it was a stunning performance of the TCC African Drum and Dance Ensemble. Unbelievable power in the pulsing rhythm and the harmony of many drums. I was within ten feet of the group and I swear I have never heard anything so powerful. It spoke to the deepest level of human history. If you ever get a chance to experience this group, do it. I suspect you will be changed in ways you won’t see coming.

No comments: