Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Thomas University West Campus: Well Done!!!


TU Logo
I have been critical of TU in the recent past. Being an  Emeritus Professor and Honorary Alumni is a good thing, and having been through some of the darkest days and then seeing the flourishing of the recent years makes being critical even harder. I have usually been guilty of speaking out when I felt it necessary. Over the years I served TU in various capacities I opposed a number of changes I thought were ill conceived and supported many I thought were right. My concern was always for the students, the family of TU and the institution itself.
My latest and probably last remarks revolved around what I considered an ill-conceived plan to outsource all maintenance without any provision for protecting the loyal employees who carried that burden very well for years. I still think it ill conceived. It shows a total lack of caring for TU family.
 
Renovated TU Basketball Facility
I visited the Main Campus to retrieve some boxes that had been stored in the “barn” and decided to have a drive through look at the West Campus. The last time I saw it there was a huge hole in the ground and crappy looking buildings. Well let me tell you this: It looks really good now. Stark landscaping but that is ok because the vast grassy area to the front and left of the Gym will be built on soon I think. So I drove around the building (not the gym and I don’t know what it is called) and parked. I went in to take a look and ran into a former student of mine, Sarah, who greeted me with a big smile and a hug. Thanks, Sarah, nice to know one is welcome. The lobby is well done if a bit sparse, but it is a work in progress I hope. Needs some plants and art. Daryl, another old friend, joined me from his office and I quickly figured out that this is “his” building. He didn’t say that, but the pride was there in his voice. He showed me the offices, workout gym, athletic training room and the unfinished back rooms. What is finished is impressive. Nicely done and looks very functional.  First  Class.

We walked to the gymnasium which I had last seen after our last basketball game from the first attempt to have a basketball team. In those days everything was ratty except the playing floor. Now it is really nice. All new everything. First class work. Great court, locker rooms (awaiting lockers but they are coming). Everything looks good. Even the original walls and floors have a "new" look.
But more. The enthusiasm of Daryl and the other folks I talked to was infectious. The athletic department and athletic programs are really, really enthusiastic. It comes through. The West Campus is the new “old” Thomas College. Personal buy
 in; love of the place and hope for the future.

For the West Campus I say a loud ‘Well Done TU.”
Image: Google images (Problem: damn few images of TU on Google)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your assessment Search.... the West Campus is WONDERFUL! And the enthusiasm is up!

woody s. said...

Thanks Anon. You agree with my assessment of the main campus?