Monday, October 18, 2010

San Diego: Land of Good.

San Diego. The land of good beer, good food and good times, the USS Midway, California girls but no sunshine. None. Never saw it. So much for “sunny California”. Smog yes. Sun, no.

We were driving up historic US highway 101 on the way to a couple of breweries (where else) when I suddenly noticed that all the people were “bobbling” on the sides of the road. Up and down, up and down. Everybody was a bobble doll. Then it struck me. They were all jogging. Whew, I thought. Then I noticed that they were all young. The percentage of obviously older people was almost zero. One crossed the street in from of me and I though “I should run him over to put him out of his misery”. I didn’t though. And the surf. Dozens maybe hundreds of bobbling torsos on surfboards just gently rocking in the water. Up and down. Up and down. No waves, just gentle small swells. At first I thought they were seals. But they were surfers with no surf.

So what did I learn in San Diego? Everybody jogs on Saturday or rides a bike in very colorful costumes or floats on the calm ocean. That everybody who isn’t jogging, biking or “surfing” is driving on the freeways. That they either eat there seniors or ban them from the streets. That there are more world class microbreweries per square mile than anywhere I have ever been. That there is great Chinese (the goose intestines were particularly alluring) and good Mexican food. That the USS Midway is there and is a National Treasure to be enjoyed by all. And that you can’t prove it by me that the sun ever shines in Southern California. Can’t wait to go back. Seriously.

Image: http://californiadaytrips.blogspot.com/2008/08/kiss-statue-uss-midway-in-san-diego.html

No comments: