Friday, October 22, 2010

"The Meeting"

Ever think about how economics work? No? At the roots of economics is this: You make or do something that you sell to someone else to get money that you can then use to buy what they make or do. Barter works the same way. You grow pigs and trade them for veggies or pots or fripperies that were produced by people who wanted pigs.
I have come to believe that the same system exists within many if not all organizations. This system is organized around “The Meeting”. In Educational Institutions meetings are the currency. Meetings occur on a daily basis, and the outcome of many is to set a time to meet again, and to refer issues to groups that must have meetings that in turn report back to the first group in, you guessed it, a meeting.
Periodically there are meetings to bring the results of other meetings together for review. These meetings usually result in the distribution or redistribution of tasks back to the groups that reported, thus safely generating more meetings to keep everyone employed.
In fairness, sometimes something emerges from a meeting that is not immediately sent to another group to meet about. These things are called “Decisions”. After all is said and done, Decisions are usually the product of one or two people who actually run the highest meetings, and ideally, but not always, are reached using the consultations derived from all the other meetings. Naturally, after a Decision is reached, the impact must be thoroughly reviewed and evaluated in a whole series of? You got it: MEETINGS!

Image: http://www.yavel.com/always/images/hp_dilbert.jpg

2 comments:

Matt said...

(...Is reading this on a 15-minute break between meetings.)

Jen said...

Hey, this is Jen. I didn't log into my gmail before I began this post, so I'm not sure you knew it was me ...

Anyway ... wow, your post is DEAD ON. I often wonder if this system is the same outside of institutions like ours (I know the system is the same in higher ed institutions, but I mean in other fields). For the record, I HATE MEETINGS ... generally. I despise the typical (which you described), and I wish I had a crystal ball I could look in to see how much time will eventually be wasted of my day as whatever topic is rescheduled, reshuffled, and recycled. Ugh.

Good post.