Thursday, February 25, 2010

Hecho en China


In 1989 Sal and I bought our first new car: Ford Bronco II. In addition to other considerations we wanted an American made auto. The dealer assured me it was “made in America”. When delivered it had a sticker on the window that said “Assembled in Newport News, Virginia”. How American is that? The owner’s manual told the story: Engine assembled in Canada; Transmission either Mazda or Mitsubishi; Tires made in America. The engine and transmission lasted 250000 miles. The tires failed in 20k,
“Hecho en China”. The words sent chills up my spine. Even the Mexicans are importing from China. My new custom window was thus marked: “Hecho en China”. I ordered it from an Iowa (heartland) American company, the window was fabricated in part in China, shipped to Mexico and finally to Tallahassee. What the hell? I really have nothing against China. I have been there and loved it (exclusive of the air). The Chinese make some fine things and have some fine people. But the sleeping tiger is no longer sleeping. It is eating us alive. I really thought the window would be giving Americans a job to do. At least the installer and his helper were locals. Hard to know where to go after this.
Image: humor.desvariandoando.com/tag/china

No comments: