Thursday, July 30, 2009

murdered child

On The Page, Poet Mourns Daughter's Murder : NPR
Source: www.npr.org
Slamming Open the Door, the debut collection of poems from Kathleen Sheeder Bonanno, contemplates the murder of the poet's daughter, Leidy Bonanno. She was killed in 2003.

Terry Gross interviewed Kathleen Sheeder Bonanno yesterday. Leidy Bonanno was brutally (is there any other way?) murdered by her ex boyfriend, strangled. KSB's poems circle the death with amazing clarity. I am still in some form of shock from contemplating (empathizing I think) the death of a child, no matter how old. I think "A parent should not have to bury their children. Should be the other way around", but we all know that ideal is sometimes breached.
Then a name popped into my thoughts. Matthew Shepard. My god. How his parents must have suffered. Still do no doubt. His mother has become an activist in GLBT issues. I think "my Matthew, my Matthew. Please not him". Very selfish of me. Please...... not any one's child. But there is no one to hear the plea. So the murders will go on and we will all be diminished.
Sorry.

No comments: