Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Fire in the Valley


Tiny Stone for Mouse - Friend of All
Little A ran out into the burned out meadow with great worry for his friend Rabbit. The fire had scorched the ground but went out at the edge of the woods so the damage was limited. As he approached the woods, Little A noticed an old Tortoise slowly walking into the wood, followed by of all things a family of possums, some snakes, some cotton rats and many other animals. He was greatly relieved to spot Rabbit in the crowd and waved him over. “Rabbit! I was so worried about you. The fire moved fast. Are you OK?” “Yes” said Rabbit. “I can run faster than most fires and most animals. But my friend Mouse wasn’t so lucky”. Rabbit then told Little A the tale of Mouse, how she had saved 17 babies and then died from her burns. “Little A? We are all going to help bury Mouse and support her family. Would you like to come along?” “I have never been to a funeral before” said Little A,” but I would like to help her family if I can.” “I don’t know what a “funeral” is, but when one of our Valley friends dies, we bury them in a special place and help their family and friends through the bitter times. Since you don’t know the other animals, you probably should stay back and try to be quiet (not so easy for a human).

And so the new friends followed the others to the burial place, a place on a shady hilltop where quiet and peace seemed to fill the air. “This would be my choice for a grave if I could choose” thought Little A. Badger had already dug a mouse-size hole in the earth and Mouse was gently put into it by her family. Each animal scratched a little soil into the hole and said a few words about Mouse. She was remembered for her quietness, kindness, good weaving and general helpfulness. Little A was surprised that no one mentioned the fire, the babies or her sacrifice. So he stood tall and said “Ummmm. I would like to say something if I may.” There was a shocked silence around the grave, and some nervousness as well. Badger, notorious for leaving his glasses behind said “WHO SAID THAT???” in a fierce voice. Rabbit quickly stood up and explained that Little A was a boy he had met who could talk to animals. His grandfather then quickly added that the boy’s father was the human who had shared so many hours with the elders, listening and telling tales. Tortoise agreed, and added that this human would be a very special friend to the animals in the Valley, and would soon be “one of us”. That perplexed everyone. Badger said “Speak Boy, But Make it Short. Looks like Rain to me.”
Little A then said “I didn’t know Mouse at all. I heard her story from my friend Rabbit and from all of you. I didn’t want her to go to her grave without someone telling of her self-sacrifice and bravery. So I will.” And he did.
Many, many years later, Little A was wealthy enough to buy the entire Valley and turn it into a Nature Preserve. No one who had been to Mouse’s burial except the Old Tortoise was alive by then, so when he muttered to himself “Told you he was special” nobody knew what he was talking about. But he knew, and that was enough for an Old Tortoise.

Image: (this stone can be purchased at) https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5708276/il_340x270.325975135.jpg

No comments: