Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Another Old Friend Passes


While the world goes by at a frightening pace, things happen over the horizon that stay unknown. Then, suddenly, you know. Such is the news of the death of a very old friend. I knew she was very ill from family Facebook postings. But the whirl of life in our household blotted out much of the world of news. Today, I read postings that said  that she had died.
Younger by many years than me, I met her and knew her as the “smart-ass teenager”, and joined the competition for her attention. I lost out to another good friend, and together they made a life and had 4 wonderful children. I knew them all and more recently have come to know them again, some more, some less. The marriage didn’t last, as many do not, and both of my friends moved on to new things.
We lost touch, she and I, but
I met her a few years ago, now older, grayer and wiser, but still with the infectious smile and laugh of the teenager. We had a little time to spend reminiscing, and then she went home to the West. We stayed in touch gently, and never got to spend more time catching up on our various successes and, yes, failures. Remember, failures are an important part of becoming who you are, not to be forgotten, but to be celebrated as teaching moments.
She died and I didn’t know. And she leaves behind 4 daughters and many friends. She did the very best she could with life, and, in the end, I think, triumphed. My heart is sad, but my memories are good, yes, even the infamous Rainbow Farm saga. We had fun, all of us, and Sal and I cherish those times. I will tell some of those tales in the next few weeks, as a fitting reminder that those whom we love are not forgotten, but are loved still.
So to L, T, T and J I say celebrate the woman whom she was, because she was a special person. And know that I stand with you, missing her and remembering her.

Image: https://reflectionsfromafriend.wordpress.com/category/reflections/

No comments: