Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Very Good News Day!!!

This has been a Very Good News Day. Earlier I got a link from Steve (http://www.earthzine.org/2012/03/22/utilizing-nasa-eos-to-identify-and-monitor-bioaerosols-dust-storms/  with the news of a great NASA project that he and Kevin completed. Lots of kudos from the pros in the field. And just now an email from Zarko telling me he has won a prestigious award at FSU, beating out 8500 other professional student competitors. He called it the "the top researcher and excellence award here at FSU."
So Three out of Three for a home run day.
Of course I am proud of these three grads, and proud to have been in some small way a part of their education and professional preparation. And I am proud of all the others out there, many on Facebook, who go to work every day and change the world. You know who you are.
But more than that I have a prediction: In the next several years or couple of decades you will hear of more world class accomplishments from the grads of the 80's, 90's and 2000's as they get their professional traction and rise ever higher. I can't wait. The jury is out on the students that didn't have Search, McWilliams and other dedicated teachers putting the wind in their sails (sometimes hot wind, I know). I hope they do as well as "our" grads. They have a tough race though.
Am I proud or what?And humbled as well. You see, these three have gone way farther and achieved way more already than I have. It is the old "help them over the fence, but never climb it yourself" situation. So fly, guys, and enjoy the ride. Us old voyeurs will be right up there with you in spirit.

Image: http://besomebodyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Graduation-is-just-the-beginning.jpg

1 comment:

Zarko said...

You are not giving yourself enough credit. To me, you have plaid a very big, and a very important part during the process of my educational preparation, as I am sure others would feel the same. In fact, I remember every class that I have taken under your wing and there were a lot of those; but they all were inspiring. Moments like having your keys taped, muddy field-trips, fruit labs (ohh those were delicious), evolution and an occasional life-story were simply priceless. Even classes like BOTANY that I loved so much that resulted in still occasional anxiety when I see plants LOL. Joke aside, in 23 years spent as a student in 4 different countries (that's a scary thought) there are three educators that made me to become the person I am right now, and you are on the top of the list. It was an honor to have the opportunity to be part in watching you practice your craft. I am guessing educating young minds must be like raising children; you never know what you are getting :-)

At the end of a new beginning where exits are turning into new entries and all the success that came with precisely calculated leaps is very much based on the strong foundation that was laid out for us by the great people like yourself. It is great to see that all the time and energy that you put into us wasn't a waste. To make a long story short before the brew gets hot and flat, we love you.