Thursday, November 3, 2011

Lady Anne de Bivalve Part Two

Lady Anne de Bivalve died last night after a long and unsuccessful battle with cancer. Her actual name was Anne Schwiebert, and got the “Lady Ann” moniker from years of working at the Horton Point Light House for the Southold Historical Society (http://www.southoldhistoricalsociety.org/lighthouse.htm) as a docent and board member. She was instrumental in saving the structure and turning it into the fine museum it is today. She was called “The Lady of the Lighthouse”. She was also addicted to clamming in the pond behind her house, thus the “Bivalve”.
We went back all the way to 1950 and grew into teenagers together. Never boyfriend/girlfriend, always just friends. Her father was a fairly prominent radiologist with a very healthy sense of humor. I remember one time I was having trouble with my hotrod and she and her dad were across the street raking leaves. I called her and asked her to come over to help me check my spark plug wires. Her father started laughing, knowing what was coming next. I put the wire in her hand and told her to tell me if she could feel anything, and hit the starter. She flew back on her ass, and was not amused. Her father and I were very amused. Just a practical joke and she took it well. It was one of those things that you keep coming back to when you meet up in later life.
She was an artist and weaver and sailor, and a passionate lover of light houses. She always thought of light houses as safe harbors, safe places.
Rest in peace, Lady de Bivalve. You are in a very safe place. And you are missed.


Image: http://toddatteberry.com/New-York/East-End-of-Long-Island/Horton-Point-Lighthouse-and/779295843_f3P3C-L-1.jpg

No comments: