Monday, September 26, 2011

Titus Lucretius Carus and Woody.



I was reminded just yesterday of the Epicurean philosophical school by a discussion on NPR (where else?) of Lucretius centering on his epic poem “De Rerum Natura”. The title is variously translated as “On the Nature of Things” or “On the Nature of the Universe” and is considered to be an effective portrayal of the Epicurian ideas.
This morning I read over some reviews of “De Rerum Natura” and a few articles on Epicureanism and there, squarely in the middle of it all, is my philosophy. Dead center. I wish I could assert that as a young academician I was profoundly affected by these ideas, but in truth I can’t remember reading much philosophy at all. Sure, the obligatory Philosophy 201, and some skimming of ideas from all over the place, but strong influence? Doubt it.
Yet, there are my thoughts neatly summarized. And I really have to wonder about something: were the seeds of my mechanistic view of the universe, and my convictions about a natural system that requires no gods to make it or make it run, and my ideas about death planted decades ago in some hot classroom in Miami and slowly germinated as I grew older? Or, as I have asserted on occasion, are a sub-set of humans born without the need for supernatural explanations and therefore freed to think differently? I suppose both may be true.
In any case I now have a new short-term goal: get and read “De Rerum Natura”, bone up on Epicureanism and see where they lead.
Ain’t retirement wonderful?
Some background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucretius
Image: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41uEbJjsheL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
NPR: http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2011/09/19/140533195/lucretius-man-of-modern-mystery

No comments: