Monday, August 8, 2011

Terrified in Ax-les-Thermes



















I admit it. I am very uncomfortable on high places, near an edge. I don’t like to stand close to the guard rail at canyons, or on tall buildings. Forget tall bridges. Several years ago I walked up the steps to the top of the Pont-du-Gard, pictured above and started out on the top, also pictured above, to walk across. Never made it. Ended up crouched in the middle, slinking back to the steps. Don’t like HEIGHTS!!!



So, In Ax-les-Thermes there is a ski resort that in the summer caters to sight-seers and mountain bikers. Two lifts take you way, way up the mountain. The first is a closed gondola and the second is a bench with 6 seats and a movable bar to hold you in. No cage, no belts: just a seat, bar and the air. Sally talked me into going up. First ride not too bad. Gondola. Then we realized the second ride would be in an open lift chair. I watched a few people get on and go up, and decided to suck it up and go. The operator spoke only French. So, we waited our turn and watched what to do. We got on the seats and started to pull the bar down when the operator said something loudly. “Pardon?” I pulled the bar down. The footrests immediately got stuck on the edge of the platform and as the chair moved forward, inexorably, the chair began to tip forward, the foot rest being firmly stuck on the platform. The operator screamed something: “Pardon?” She pushed the emergency stop button. The cable stopped, gave a small shudder, and the chair popped lose. We hung there for a minute or so while the operator inspected for damage, then got going.
Suddenly we were flying up the mountain and then, crap!!! we started to go over a deep ravine. The ground was already 50 feet away, and then about 150 feet away. Breathe. Calm. Calm. I loosened my death-grip on the bar, looked straight ahead and around, and began to enjoy the trip. Going back down was fun, and now I look forward to another trip. I also know when and when not to pull down the damn bar.

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/7/2933882-Pont_du_Gard_Top_Languedoc_Roussillon.jpg
http://www.desktops4wallpaper.com/image_gallery/nature_wallpaper_30/city_town_wallpapers_46/france-
http://photos.igougo.com/images/p194832-Breckenridge_CO-My_Parents_on_the_Ski_Lift.jpg


1 comment:

Jim said...

You did better than I did. On my first chair lift ride, I didn't even know that the bar could be pulled down!