Thursday, August 4, 2011

Food Adventures in France: Hypocras



Since my early years I have read of the Knights of old drinking Mead and Hypocras, and I never thought much about either. Then, one day in a small market in Cordes-sur-Ciel, there was a bottle of Hypocras. The real stuff. Wonderful spicy wine served cold, with a hint of honey. The family finished off several bottles before leaving for home.
When I got home I checked with two very knowledgeable wine guys to see if they had any Hypocras. Blank looks from both. Neither had heard of it. Looked it up: Not listed in supplier’s inventory.
But, Mr. Google (sorry Barbie) found a couple of easy recipes. Both are variants of the same theme: wine (merlot, rose` or white), spices such as pepper, cinnamon, ginger, honey, cloves and others. No cooking, just steeping. I am getting the ingredients together today for a 4 bottle batch. Stay tuned.
Image: www.lecarreaumedieval.hautetfort.com

No comments: