Thursday, June 9, 2011

Go Take A Hike!!



Life is Short: Hike while you can still Walk.
I saw an old guy with a walker the other day, struggling to get around. Old guy? Well, as old as me or maybe a bit older, but yes, and old guy. I don’t know why the guy couldn’t navigate well. Maybe a stroke or broken hip or maybe just too little exercise. Maybe just bad luck.
The thought that came first was something like “Gads, I’m glad I can still get up from a chair without using my arms, and I can still walk 10 miles if I want to.” Sal and I have passed and been passed by lots of, er, older hikers over the years. And we wondered if hiking kept them hiking or just good luck kept them on the trails. I think probably luck has a part to play, but I am convinced that hiking and walking beget more of the same. Kind of a momentum.
My advice has always been centered around living life now and to the fullest possible. Best wine first; take the trip while you can; take the hike; laugh, and cry too. I believe to my core that this is the best way to go. So what are You waiting for? Go take a hike.
And by the way, don’t tell Sarah Doherty she can’t hike any more. Read more about Sarah at http://sidestix.com/about/ .
Image of Sarah Doherty: www.hollandbloorview.ca

No comments: