Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Death by Coat Hanger



When I was growing up, I heard about “those girls” that “got in trouble”. At first I didn’t know who they were or what the trouble was, but the treatment was called “back alley” and involved a coat hanger.
When I hit the teenage years I came to understand that “those girls” were the girls I knew and lusted after, but it was none of my business if they “got in trouble”. Then one day one of them died. Death by coat hanger. Not strangled with one. Not beaten to death by one.
Penetrated by one. Punctured by one. Infected by one. Killed as surely as if a bullet had been fired into her young uterus. And no, I wasn’t the cause of the pregnancy, and yes, I finally figured out that it was my business if they “got in trouble”. So I supported Roe v Wade and the feminist movement. And Planned Parenthood, because it seemed to me that the best way for girls not to “get in trouble” was to not get in trouble in the first place. Get it? Birth control. But if that failed, at least there would be a safe alternative to the coat hanger.
Now, conservative bible thumpers are driving us back to the days of the coat hanger. Kansas will probably become the first state to have no legal abortion services for the bad girls that “get in trouble”. What will they do then? Go out of state if possible, and if not, find a back alley and a coat hanger and go at it.
If I believed that prayer would help I would pray for the girls of all the adults that support this madness. I don’t, though, and predict that sooner or later their little girls will “get in trouble” and God help them then.
Image: www. http://www.politicsplus.org/blog/?p=4757

No comments: