Tuesday, November 30, 2010

RateMyProfessor: Oops, Is That ME?


The last time I looked at my TU ratings I scored 4.7 out of 5. Not too shabby. The comments were positive with words like “Awesome” “Great” and other superlatives. Great for the ego.
So today I looked at my TCC ratings from 3 students based on my classes from the spring of 2010. I scored 3.4 out of 5 with comments like “He doesn’t teach much, but gives bonus points.” What the HELL? Is this the same professor? Then it hit me. Yes, it is the same professor, but TCC is all labs with no real chance to teach content. All show and tell. All models. And, my classes were way above the average in both grades and retention. Disconnect? I think so. My lab teaching technique, developed over decades of teaching (too many decades maybe?) is to NOT give people the answers to questions like “Is this the right or left clavicle?” My answer: “I don’t know. Let’s try to figure it out.” Then I show them how to figure it out, without ever telling them the answer. Works like a charm and before long they burrow into material on their own. And they don’t realize they have learned to learn. Probably the most important thing anyone can learn.
So I feel bad about the ratings and comments, but understand that learning to learn is not as apparent as memorizing a list of bones. I can’t wait to see the ratings from this term. Maybe I will soar up to 3.5.
Image: www.flickr.com/photos/wakingtiger/3157622170/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say What the HELL too Search! You are one of the BEST teachers I have had not only in college but in all of my schooling. Yes there is bonus points, but they didn't come free (cleaning the Ochlocknee River, writing about or getting a pap smear, and so on). I had to work hard for EVERY point in your class, but I LOVED it. It was the hardest, but funnest class I ever took. I remember when we went to Lake Talquin in that horrible weather and when I climbed in and out of the sink hole on the plantation, which I have pics of. You are encouraging, caring, inspiring, and brilliant. So Search I will rate you on a scale of 1 to 5 a 10!!

Tamara Lara