Friday, July 9, 2010

A Tale of Unlikely Friends

Owl and Tortoise met one morning at a pond, each there for a drink. Owl said he had been thinking about all the ways he and Tortoise were different. "I can fly and am very fast while you walk very slowly. I eat animals while you eat fruit and mushrooms. I have feathers while you have a hard shell, and I can hunt at night while you hunt in the daylight. Given the differences I think it is amazing that we are friends.” Tortoise thought a moment and said “I too have been thinking about our friendship and the ways we are the same: we both have few enemies, I because of my shell that protects me and you because you are a top predator. We both live long lives, though I am much older than you, and are considered wise by our animal friends, and we are both spirit guides for men. Given the similarities. our friendship was inevitable, don’t you think? And you know, Owl, that we are distant relatives, don’t you? We both are egg layers, and descended from ancient dinosaurs.”
Owl thought about what Tortoise had said and replied “You are right! I see now that the differences are really trivial while our similarities are important and deep. I know now which one of us is the wiser, too and clearly it is you.”
Tortoise thought about what Owl said and replied “No Owl, we are both wise, but in different ways. I am not the wiser, and the proof is that you are willing to see another’s viewpoint and learn from it. Only a wise and humble soul can recognize wisdom in others, and accept that others can be equally wise. I think our friendship is based on respect for each other, and respect for the world around us. Thank you for being my friend, Owl. I value that greatly.”
Then, as the sun rose above the horizon, Owl flew up to his tree, and Tortoise walked off to find breakfast, both content in their friendship, and both with a renewed feeling of respect.
Image: khazarsgathering2012.com/Images/galapagos-tor...
(For another tale of the same unlikely friends, go to this website khazarsgathering2012.com/pomseeds2.html and scroll down to the story. I do not endorse the philosophy of the site, but find it very interesting. Indeed, the story of the owl and tortoise there is very good.)

No comments: