Wednesday, May 5, 2010

News of a Death Today


The email said” Just wanted to let you know that Ben died on April 12th by his own decision. All of us who knew him will miss the Ben we knew.” The guy I knew was a guy you would want to know. This guy had it all, but was bent in some significant way that made him doomed in the end to fail. Educated, polished, easy to talk to and smart. Intelligent too. He went to jail early and redefined himself a few times afterwards. He made it to a Presidency at a State University, and by some measures did well. But his fatal flaw, I guess, couldn’t be overcome. I don’t know how it ended for him. But I do know this: He left a lot of pain behind, both for himself and those who loved him. We will get together some day and talk of him, laugh a little and cry or be sad a little. Most of us moved on long ago, but never forgot him.
I have no belief in an afterlife so I don’t believe Ben will “get his Just Dessert”. What he got, finally, is peace. So rest in peace old friend. I won’t be seeing you any time in the future, but will think of you from time to time, and that is the most anyone can ask for. I’ll focus on the wine, laughs and discussions. Others will remember what they will. And remember this:
"Life is short.
Drink the good wine first"


No comments: