Friday, May 28, 2010

deixe o bom rolo das épocas!!!!

Looking forward or looking back?
It occurred to me just now that with all the looking back I do in these essays (this will be the 190th since I began) that what I really think is important is looking forward. Sure, I think that there is benefit to me to clarify my thoughts about things past, and yes, I think there may be something for others to consider in a few. And yes again I have fun going over some of the really fun and meaningful times from the past.
But what I really like to do is think forward. And look forward. Time to compartmentalize. Looking forward with world view in mind is sobering (although like my father-in-law, I think that drinking a bit now and then is good for the soul). Sobering? Downright scary sometimes. But looking forward with a me-and-mine view is much better. We are all doing well physically and as far as I can tell mentally. Sure, a few extra pounds here and there, and a few wrinkles now and then are in sight, but on balance our futures are pretty bright.
Experiencing new places and people, food, wine and cultures is ahead for Sal and me. Hiking in the foothills of the Oregon and Blue Ridge mountains is there along with fishing in the (hopefully) clear waters of the Gulf, playing with the orchids, cooking some kickass meals and chilling with Sally. And so much more.
My point? Look back from time to time to get a fix on where you are, but spend more time looking forward. I wrote an essay a while ago about remembering the future. Part of that idea revolves around picturing something as it will be and then remembering the picture. This enables you to actually experience the future in a way that isn’t completely reactive. You get a chance to mold the future by imagining how it could be and then making it so.
Look forward. The future is just there in front of you.
Image: parenting.leehansen.com/.../good-times-oval.jpg
Portugese translation: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt

No comments: