Wednesday, November 18, 2009

weird woody rides again


No kidding. Weird things happen to me at the most unlikely times. Yes, I have seen ghosts. Yes, I have had an out of body experience (not drug or alcohol induced) and Yes, I have personally communicated with spirits (call them what you will) without peyote or other assistance. I have not experienced any of these things (and others) by choice nor can I repeat them at will. They just happened. Another manifestation of the weird: shadowy forms lurking in the peripheral vision. Whoa! Eye trouble? Not according to the eye exams. And, these forms are shaped in most cases like either large birds or ghostly humans. A little research turns up some interesting spiritual possibilities. Some sources claim that the shades of past lives appear to those that are getting ready to join them. Possible I suppose but these have been around me for quite awhile. Others indicate that the shades are there for all to see, but most are not tuned in to seeing them. Yet others suggest that seeing shades is a stage of development on the road to spiritual awakening and the realization of spiritual power. Lets look more closely.

Birds are thought to be spirit guides and or totems in many cultures. Certain birds are associated with specific aspects of spirit. As I indicated in an earlier post, my family has had a very long association with Owl. I now live amongst a colony of Barred Owls. Hmmmm.

Here is a partial list of attributes of those chosen by Owl:
perceives truths that are veiled to many

A shaman with an owl spirit guide is an old soul with much wisdom thanks to this maturity

knows when to speak and when to keep its peace

the Barred Owl is spirit guide to Shamans who are gifted in speech, and cooperative with others

powers of second sight and great sensitivity

The owl puts an end to doubt and offers vision and clarity of the truth of events, people or circumstances in your life.

I don't claim to be a Shaman or anything else holy.
I was surprised to see so many aspects of how I think of myself reflected in the discussions of Owl as guide and totem. I am surprised that I even consider this to be possibly a reflection of some spiritual reality. After all, I have spent the greater part of my life and consciousness in an analytical mode, denying these aspects of the realm and considering them to be fantasy. But have always been "spiritual" in some ways. The very heart of contradiction, I know. But you know something? Sometimes you have to step back and take another long and deep look at your self and the world around you. And realize that there are many realities, not just one.
See? I told you this would be weird.

(One point of clarification: I am not talking here about religion. Someday I may write about religion, but this is not the day.)
Photo: www.flightschoolphotography.com/Workshops/FSP


No comments: