Wednesday, October 7, 2009

shoot the bear






In my distant past I was a "yute", as they say in Brooklyn. In the early 50's there was an arcade game that involved shooting at moving animals with lenses in their bodies with a rifle with a light in the barrel. So when you "shot" the light flashed and if you aimed accurately at the lens in the animal you "got" it and it did something. I remember the bear specifically but don't really know why. Anyway, when you hit the bear, it reared up, roared and turned around and went in the other direction. You scored a point. If you keep hitting the bear it kept roaring and turning and you kept scoring.
For years I have been using the analogy "like a bear in a shooting gallery" when someone turns abruptly and moves on. I have had to explain this to numerous people who probably then and now think I an nuts. Well, nuts to you of little faith. Watch the video and you will see what I mean. Where the hell the stuff on YouTube comes from I do not know (of course I know really, just look at the link, what I mean is I am amazed that anyone has all this stuff).


Now, that may not be the most exciting video you have ever watched, but by golly I grew up with games like that and they are still better than all that video crap. So there.

1 comment:

Matt said...

In addition to roaring and turning around, it appears that the bear's eyes and mouth light up with a rich, red, demonic glow. I suspect that the bear is possessed by Evil, and/or is some form of undead creature of darkness, and that you, as the shooter, are the crusading hunter who will save us all from the forces of the netherworld.

Which is *just like* the video crap all the kids are playing. Except modern zombie bears take a moment to curse your mother before they roar and turn around, so you have a *good reason* to shoot them again.